Solid wood dining tables in Singapore have become increasingly popular over the years for its durability and natural wood grains that make every table one-of-its-kind. It is also a beautiful statement piece to have in the dining room, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere as you host dinner parties or gatherings for families and friends.
However, as wood is porous, grease from your food can get absorbed quickly into the table, forming a stain. Spills and stains are unavoidable but they can be easily removed! As they do not come with a cheap price tag, learn how to protect it in the right way so that the beauty of your wooden pieces can be preserved!
While there are many cleaners you can easily get from local stores, these cleaners usually contain chemicals that might be harsh for the protective finish on your wooden dining table. Be sure to read the label and choose one that is specifically designed for cleaning wooden surfaces.
The safest option is, of course, making your own cleaning solution with natural ingredients that will be gentle yet effective for removing grime at the same time. Restore your home furniture in Singapore with this easy 4-step guide below!
What You Need:
- Soft cloth
- 1-2 tablespoon of Vinegar
- Remove the grease on the wood with a clean cloth. You can also use a paper towel and let it sit on the oil stain for a while to absorb the oil.
- Heat a bowl of water. Add detergent and 1 or 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the water. Let it cool off slightly to a warm temperature.
- Use a clean cloth and dip it into the solution. Gently wipe the surface of the wooden dining table. Repeat this process a few times if necessary to remove stubborn stains. Before you clean the whole surface, you might want to test it out on a small surface first that is out of sight, for example, under the table to make sure that the solution is gentle enough for your table. Let it stand for at least a few hours to see if there are any changes to the finish of your table before proceeding!
- Rinse the cloth and wipe the table again, making sure that there is no excess moisture on the surface.
- Lastly, use a dry cloth to wipe the table. You can now finish it with wood varnish or wax to give the table a new finish! This is also an important step as oil or wax can give your wood another layer of protection other than restoring its lustre.
The best practice is to remove any spills and stains immediately. This prevents any stubborn stains and makes cleaning a whole lot easier! Other protective measures such as using a dining mat or coasters when you are drinking cold or hot beverages can help to preserve the beauty of your wooden dining table for a longer time. It’s also good to give your table a clean twice every year or so!
Sungei Kadut Showroom