Reading has its many benefits – increasing your child’s vocabulary and attention span in activities to boosting their memory. While the habit of reading comes naturally for some children, it is tough to get others started. For new and young parents, here are some ways you can help your child to develop a reading habit.
01. Create a reading space. It can be a just simple corner designated in the living room or in your child’s room for reading. Get your child excited by engaging their help in setting the space up – grabbing a bean bag, chairs or anything that makes it comfortable to spend time in that space.
02. Be a good role model. As your child watches you read – be it books, newspaper or magazine, this would show your child that reading is important. As you read, encourage your child to join you as well!
03. Encourage reading everywhere, not only at home. Learning does not stop at home. You can use materials around you – learning to read a shop’s name, food menus, location etc. This would also instil the notion that reading is an essential skill to have.
04. Find out what book genre your child likes. Expose your child to different book genres. Helping your child discover which genre interest him will keep your child excited to continue reading!
05. Make frequent trips to the library. Instead of visiting the bookstore, visit the library instead! This can also save costs on buying books which your child will outgrow in a few years’ time. Borrowing library books also do not take up space in your home. (Yes, flats in Singapore, especially BTO flats are downsizing.) It also keeps your child looking forward to library visits knowing that there is a wide range of books to choose from!
Coffee Tables & Side Tables
Visit our two showrooms to see more furniture displays.
Click here for furniture showroom addresses and opening hours.